Before you head off on holiday, read our tips to keep your home safe and reduce your risk of burglary.
- Touch base with your insurance broker to make sure you’re adequately covered. Take photos of your valuables and keep a record of the details in a handy place. This helps recover items in the event they’re stolen and you need to make an insurance claim.
- Only tell trusted family and friends your holiday plans and don’t advertise your absence on social media.
- Make your property less of a target by ensuring all windows, doors, cars and gates are locked. Draw curtains and turn on the alarm if you have one.
- Lock up and put away anything that might give intruders access to your house e.g. tools, gardening equipment, ladders.
- Don’t leave valuable items lying around outside such as bikes, tools and children’s toys.
- Get someone to collect your mail or have the post office collect it.
Phoenix Insurance Brokers Pty Ltd wishes all our clients a safe and happy holiday season. Even though it’s a busy time of year, don’t hesitate to get in touch to discuss your home and contents insurance or any other personal insurance policies you may require. You might be very glad you did.
Frequently Asked Questions
During the holiday season, there are a few tips you can follow to protect your home from burglary and other potential risks.These include:
- Ensuring all windows, doors and gates are securely locke.
- Leaving lights on timers or installing motion-sensing outdoor lights
- Setting up an alarm system that is monitored 24/7
- Not leaving valuables in view or where they can be easily reached
- Having a trusted neighbour or family member check in regularly while you’re away
One of the best ways to ensure your home is secure while you’re away is by having someone trusted (a neighbour, family member or friend) check it periodically for signs of any suspicious activity.
Other security measures include installing an alarm system that is monitored 24/7, using GPS trackers for valuable items such as jewellery, and unplugging electronic devices that could draw attention from burglars.
Insurance offers protection against a range of risks including theft, accidental damage and natural disasters that could occur during the holidays. Home & contents insurance covers any personal possessions that are damaged or stolen from inside or outside of the home, while motor vehicle insurance covers repairs or replacements if damage is caused to your car due to an accident with a third party.